About two weeks ago I started looking around my house at all of the things I have accumulated over the past few years and it simply needs to go. When I was spouting off how this MUST HAPPEN, a good friend said, "Well, Alisa it seems to me like you already live simply..." Well, so I do, yet I must simplify more. So I have been paring down - some may say a little obsessively - but its working, but it is a lot of work.
Area by area in my house I have been looking at an item and asking myself a few questions - if the answer isn't YES to all of them - said item gets the boot.
The questions are:
- Do I love it?
- Do I actually use it on a regular basis?
- Will I need it in the NEAR future (read two years for kids stuff)?
- Is it beautiful (to me)?
- Is it in good working order (not broken or junky)?
- Do I have less than 10 of that same item (jewelry, books, movies, etc - HUGE deciding factor in my paring down plan - get myself to choose favorites and purge the rest, although I did let myself keep 20 books, I love books.)
If any of those are a NO - then I go into melt down mode. And I only have one more question, will this item have some value to someone else?
- Yes - list on Craigslist for larger items (+$100 already), Amazon for books (+$30 already), bring beat up books and movies to Half-Price books and put all the rest in a pile for a garage sale that is happening this summer
- No - sorry buddy, your time here is over, trash can for you (I actually really enjoy this part)
Every load out to the garbage bin, sale online or trip to half-price books makes me feel lighter - yet there is still so much to do.... agh. Diseased, maybe. Nesting, hope not. :)
But simplifying I am.