Sunday, January 13, 2013

Les Mis + Adoption

Last night, I went to go see the new version of Les Mis with my sisters. First of all - huge props to the female actresses in this version!!  I was blown away by the soulful, moving performances of Samantha Barks and Anne Hathaway,  I have never connected with ÉponineFantine in such a strong, emotional, guttural way.  If you see the movie and all you get out of it is the privilege of seeing them embody these two heartbroken women, you have won.

For as long as I can remember, I have been a huge fan of Les Mis.  I have read the book multiple times, seen many various movie versions and was blessed to see it on stage a few years back.  I love the themes of social justice, poverty and of course, redemption.  There is something in it for everyone and like all good stories you can get something new out of each time.

This time, I saw something I'd missed before.  A theme of adoption and sacrificial love.  I was specifically touched when Jean Valjean rescues Cosette from the bar, where the owners we're willing to sell her to the highest bidder.  And he, instead of using or abusing her, becomes her father and loves her sacrificially   There is a scene just after she is brought to be with him where he sings over her (not in the original musical, but added for the movie), called "Suddenly".

I saw myself and the joy and weightiness that I feel when I look at Sweetie all throughout this song.  And the truth is that one day she wasn't in my life and then she was - forever and ever.  It has changed both of us for the rest of our lives - Suddenly.

________________________________



No comments :

Post a Comment

It'll be a pleasure hearing your thoughts. Alisa