Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How Bad Can I Possibly Be?!

My newest foster daughter, Bean, is - stuck on repeat, know all the songs by heart, big, big fan - of the Lorax. And there is one song that keeps getting stuck in my head and hits me on a different level every-time she turns it on again.

 Here are some of the lyrics:

How bad can I be? I'm just doing what comes naturally.
How bad can I be? I'm just following my destiny.
How bad can I be? I'm just doing what comes naturally.
How bad can I be? How bad can I possibly be?
Well there's a principle of nature
That almost every creature knows.
Called survival of the fittest
And check it this is how it goes.
The animal that eats gotta scratch and fight and claw and bite and punch.
And the animal that doesn't, well the animal that doesn't winds up someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-lunch (munch, munch, munch, munch, munch)
I'm just sayin'.

And of course, me being me, this connects to the history and in some cases to the current state of adoption.  Don't get me wrong, I am a foster parent who is in the process of adopting one of my foster kidos.  But, I also worked in the adoption world, know many birth families and many adoptess.  And there is a dark side to adoption.  Pain, corruption, bribery,  unnecessary placements just to name a few.

But, I also believe in the vast majority of cases, the "offenders" aren't evil - they are misinformed and sometimes entitled, in general, " ...just doing what comes naturally."  So how bad can that possibly be?  

When we were watching it last night, she was singing this song, dancing around the living-room, she stopped at looked me straight in the eye and said, "Pretty bad."  Truth.  We can be pretty bad even when we are just doing what comes naturally if we aren't opening our eyes to more than what is best for ME and MINE.  

Lets open our eyes.


No comments :

Post a Comment

It'll be a pleasure hearing your thoughts. Alisa