Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Update: Mythbuster Series about Birth Parents

Getting excited about the Mythbuster Series about Birth Parents!  So far I have 4 myths covered (see below).  I'd like to get a few more covered, so email me if you'd like to participate.


Myth 1: If the Child is in Foster Care, the Parents Must be Monsters
Myth 2: If a Child is Hurt or Neglected, They Aren’t Loved.
Myth 3: All Birthparents are Young and Unmarried
Myth 4: Once a Birthparent, Always a Birthparent

One that I would like to cover is the myth that children in foster care would always do better if they could be adopted or stay with their foster family over being reunited with their family.  Perhaps someone could speak to the benefits of reunification when it works...

Another one would speak to the Myth that there are NEVER birth fathers involved in the process.

But, still open to other myths as well.

Stay tuned.

9 comments :

  1. I'd be happy to do foster care reunification!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, my "happy reunifications" are actually with their birth FATHERS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. #4 is actually true. Once you are a birthparent, you remain that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitively its true - I am more speaking to the pigeonholing that people tend to do. For example, once you've had a child who was adopted elsewhere, you can't go on to susses-fully parent another child, etc. I wonder if there is a better way to put that... I'd be totally open to suggestions. Can I get your email Lori so we can touch base about your post? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  4. Hi there, I'm so glad I found your blog too! Of course I would be willing to post a link to my blog on your website. Hope you don't mind if I do the same? And THANK YOU for writing about myths about birth parents. As a birthmother, I'm really looking forward to reading!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Link away! Thanks Amy. Feel free to comment and let me know if you have anything to add on the series - I love learning... and learning, and learning.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this blog and writing about FC. We entered into caring for children quite unexpectedly 9 weeks ago. It has been an amazing experience filled with many ups and downs. It has helped oto have some information you've given here. Thank you. What I have found, is that people want it to be clear about what is best for the child(ren) to be black and white. I have found that it is not that simple. No parents, even the best of parents, do everything perfectly, or the same. There can be elements that are very good and elements that are very bad next to each other in the same set of parents. It is just easier to see others discrepancies better than our own.

    I look forward to reading the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen - glad that you've found me. Wow - 9 weeks. Hows it going so far. The blog series is coming together nicely, can't wait to share!

      Delete

It'll be a pleasure hearing your thoughts. Alisa