Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mothers: Your Pregnancy Is Not an Accident

Mothers Day Series: Guest Post #5
Joel Onyshuk is a pastor, blogger, soon-to-be author of a book on relationships, and aspiring church planter. He is a social media fanatic and can be found on Twitter (@joelonyshuk) and Google+. Please visit his blog at www.jonyshuk.weebly.com to read more blog posts from Joel.

Well, Mother’s Day is just around the corner and I’ve been thinking a lot about parenting in the last couple months after receiving the news back in February that I will be a father this upcoming October. I was adopted when I was only a month old after being born to a couple who had an affair with each other. 26 years ago, the prevalence of abortions was only starting its disastrous snowball, and I realize now more than ever why I shouldn’t take my life for granted. A married man, getting together for a sexual rendezvous with a married woman in an adulterous union…what good could come of that, right? I mean, if that happened to someone you knew today, there would be little argument. The norm would be to assume an abortion in most cases.

Yet, Psalm 139:13-16 gives us some God-perspective insight into the conception of a human life. The Bible says,

13 For you formed my inward parts;
    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
    intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
    the days that were formed for me,
    when as yet there was none of them.

Every human life is precious. Perhaps not every human life is convenient to those who bear them. But from God’s perspective, no life is an accident. God personally forms each personal within the womb. Sure, we describe the formation as a scientifically explainable process, but Scripture is clear that the ultimate “former” is God himself.  He knit me together in the womb of my biological mother. I was not hidden from him as I grew. And verse 16 is the most insightful: “Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them…”

He had planned for me. He had purposed my existence. Although I may have been an “accident” and an unwanted repercussion of an affair, I was ultimately, and incredibly, a purposeful addition to this world by the hand of the Creator.

One last thing…

I’m sure many of you use iPods, iPads, Macs, etc. Apple is one of the most prosperous companies in the world, and their products are greatly desired and lauded for their excellence and innovation. But did you know that Steve Jobs was adopted? What would this world be like if his biological mother and father had decided to end his life because he was an “accident” or “inconvenient” to their lives? How different this world would be.

I wonder how the world would be different today if we weren’t committing our children to mass genocide. What future presidents have we killed off? What inventors or scientists who would change the world forever will never exist because of what we have done? What cures for disease or hunger have gone to the grave with the infants who would have discovered them?

I count my life as an enormous blessing. I could be just another statistic of abortions across this country. But my biological parents made the right choice. They blessed my parents, who were not able to bear children, with me. I may not be a Steve Jobs, but I am a Joel Onyshuk who has a life to live and job to do as well. I thank God that I was given the chance to live, laugh, serve, love, and change this world in my ultimately very short time here on this earth.

Mothers, your children are never an accident. Cherish them. They are a gift from God. Raise them as best you can and watch them change the world.

2 comments :

  1. So, so true! Thanks for sharing Joel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the timing of things is amazing...I really needed to read this right now. I had a relationship with a married man that resulted in a surprise pregnancy. The father pressured me to get an abortion, and later when his wife found out, she was furious that I hadn't aborted as well. But I couldn't do it. I have two children already from a previous marriage and I know a baby is a person from conception. So I went ahead with the pregnancy and am going to have a little girl in 5 weeks. This pregnancy has been full of fear, loneliness and humiliation and I've wondered many times how I possibly could have thought I could handle all of this. Many f my friends have deserted me and I've embarrassed my family. It's been a very low time for me. Thank you for reminding me that no person is an accident and we never know what the bigger purpose in things is. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

It'll be a pleasure hearing your thoughts. Alisa