Friday, August 12, 2011

Comforting the Grieving Foster Parent

"Just a few days ago, I was chatting with a fellow foster parent. Through our conversation, this parent mentioned to me that people around her have tried to comfort her with assurances that God has a plan for her and for the foster children that have been in her home and that are currently in her home. While this is a very common way for people to try to comfort those who are grieving, it tends to minimize and invalidate the feelings of those who are grieving, as if we’re supposed to say “Oh, you’re right, God has a plan. Well, then, I am happy that the child that I loved is gone!”

I want to address ways not to comfort foster parents when they are grieving the loss of a foster child and discuss some ways to help foster parents when they are grieving."


Read the rest of the article here, your friends and family who do foster care WILL thank you!!  {http://bit.ly/aJFzrz }

{ You have something valuable to add to the discussion.  Please share, I'd love to hear it. } 

No comments :

Post a Comment

It'll be a pleasure hearing your thoughts. Alisa