Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Parenting a toddler has taught me so much about the heart of God


Two weeks ago, my toddler loved the vacuum. She'd work along side me using her toy version, and me the real thing. She'd smile when I suggested we vacuum. Today, she screamed from start to finish.

Tears streaming down her beautiful face, I sat down beside her. I still needed to do the stairs, but I could no longer keep vacuuming. I held her, calmed her down and started talking.

"Honey, the vacuum is loud isn't it? Yes, it is loud, but it isn't scary because I am in charge of the vacuum and tell it where to go. And I would never hurt you. You are safe."

Looking up at me, "Safe?"

"Yes safe, that means no owies, because you are with me."

Then while still holding her, I turned the vacuum on and off a few times, showing her that she was safe, that I was in charge of the vacuum. She still didn't like it, but she was much more calm. Then asked her if I could have a hug. She hugged me, and this is the most amazing part, my spunky, busy 23 month old hugged me for 20 minutes. 20 minutes. 20 minutes without wiggling, or talking or asking to get down, just hugging me.

Of course I started weeping. Praying for this little life. And then in dawned on me... How often do I become afraid and panicky at the "loudness" and scariness of this life ~ when all the time, God is the one in control of it all?

Lord, help me snuggle in, knowing that you are in control of the big, scary things in my life and that You would never hurt me.

1 comment :

  1. Oh man, Alisa. Moments like these are so powerful. I am so glad you are getting to experience them. Thank you so much for posting this. It really speaks to my heart with regard to my very real fear of loud things. Keep loving. Keep writing. Keep knowing that we are here for you.

    ReplyDelete

It'll be a pleasure hearing your thoughts. Alisa